Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Sunken - Toasted Victims

Artist: The Sunken
Release: Toasted Victims
Label:
Obscurica
Year: 2006
Format: CDr
Tracks: 9
TRT: 63:22


A new offering from the label Obscurica. Toasted Victims offer a great variety of sounds here, and each track has it's own flavor. Vocal belches, PV (Power Vocals) noise, hisses, and tumbling scrapes in the background are some of the sounds you'll hear in this disc. The last track, I Don't Like Video Games, is the loudest on here and what I'd expect from this great act. All the tracks have that "live" feel to them as well. Performed live or not, idk, but it sounds like it and kudos to The Sunken if it is.


Track #3 (Reaper's Lunch) has a deep hollow push that pulls that track forward with no rest and the main sounds increase with some high pitched blasts. Very effective and one of those track that you need to listen to again because you know you missed something.


Track #5 (Zombie Heroin) features Pulse Emitter and this is a total noise wet dream come true. Soft noises and breaks sneak in the background with a heavy synth drifting throughout the track. I love it so! I've played in this territory of noise before and love this style a lot. This is a track that'll appear in my noise mixes each time now. Brilliant!

Obscurica has great packaging with some beautiful color artwork for the case and the CDr itself. My one beef is I don't see what the track titles and the artwork have in common. The artwork has Medieval pictures and tells me a story but then you read the track titles; "Lou Ferrigno Fabric Tear", and I'm stumped. It's not going keep me away from it though. Just seems odd to me to have such great artwork not follow the track titles. Good buy none-the-less.