Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Ctephin - Alchemy

Artist: Ctephin
Release: Alchemy
Label: Roil Noise Offensive
Year: 2006
Format: 2x 3" cdr
Tracks: 5 (3: disc 1, 2: disc 2)
TRT: 40:03


One of the best releases to come out of Roil Noise Offensive has just arrived. Ctephin and Noah worked together to bring out a 2x 3" cdr release packaged in a tin case with two stickers and instructions on how you should play the ambient music while burning the incense. Each tin comes with light charcoal for burning the incense on. I’m not sure if all the incense is the same but my release carries frankincense with it to burn. There is even a disclaimer stating that Noah and Stephin are not responsible for fires. I’m glad they put that in there too because sure enough some moron would do that and try and sue Noah. Let’s get to the actually sounds now.


I have nearly every piece of ambient music Ctephin has done and I will say that this is his darkest and creepiest material ever. I burned my incense with my wife while listening to this and using our Tarot cards, just to get the mood right, as instructed. The sounds carried through our house and echoed into our minds while the smell from the incense put the mood even more relaxing. I almost got high too. Pretty good purchase I’d say, cheaper than weed. The ambient tones are so dark that it actually put me into a dream-trance when I closed my eyes. Disc 2, Track 1 is more loop and musical based and I love this track so much. It's like old soft industrial music for your pineal gland. Memories came and went as the tracks progressed, I shit you not. It works! The 2nd track from Disc 2 is probably the loudest one on here, but that's mainly due to the extra static noise, it's still ambient.I don’t know how Stephin did it but he probably was high himself and each track is different enough that it can create different atmospheres for everyone, just as long as you burn the incense with it.


The release is limited to 50 copies, which is pretty awesome considering all the incense there is in each tin. This is by far the most professional looking tin-box release I have seen to date and it’s no surprise what label it comes from. Perfect.