Sunday, May 21, 2006

Ctephin / GX Jupitter-Larsen: The Shards of Turin - The Second Coming

Artist: Ctephin / GX Jupitter-Larsen
Release: The Shards of Turin - The Second Coming
Label:
Roil Noise Offensive
Year: 2006
Format: 3" cdr
Tracks: 1

TRT:
19:20



The very idea of these two artists getting together had me drooling, and it wasn’t long before I got my wish. Here we have a great ambient artist named Ctephin collaborating with the legendary GX Jupitter-Larsen. Before I go anything further I will say that this is kind of a part two to the original track done by Ctephin titled Shards Of Turin. This track can be found on the Roil Noise page as well for download. I've listened to both tracks a number of times and they are totally different. The Shards of Turin 2 has that good'ol Haters touch to it and I would have loved to have had both tracks on one disc, but the 3" cdr is done very well and kudos to Noah of Roil Noise for a job well done with the label's second 3" release.

What the track sounds like to me is a tumbling circus of crashes and booms slowed down. It also doesn't seem to vary too much through the 19 minutes except for little hints of hisses and rings. If I had been hearing this on some noise radio station I would clearly think that this was a Haters track and not a collaborating at all. I do like the fact that you can still hear Ctephin's effort in this track though, even if it maybe drowned out a bit. This release will get mixed feelings I think and they are pretty simple: a) if you like the Haters you'll like this and b) if you don't like the Haters of the sound of GX then it's not for you, but fuck, at $4.18 you're getting your monies worth anyway.