Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Realicide - I Gotta Break Free

Artist: Realicide
Release: I Gotta Break Free
Label:
Realicide Youth
Year: 2006
Format: CDr
Tracks: 5
TRT: 57:11


Realicide has been on tour for some time now and their live sound is some of the most creative punk-noise-core I've heard in a while now. I got into it from the GBN/Merzbow split a few years ago and love the stuff now and Realicide's release, I Gotta Break Free, is no exception. The track listing is broken down into 5 live shows that took place in various states, from LA to TN.

Robert Inhuman and his crew showcase some great effects with the aggressive vocals and pounding drumbeats. There isn't just a hard beat layered over with some vocal trash. You get to hear some great digital delay effects used to loop some pretty far out samples. A great example is their cover of the Black Flag track, "Depression". Being a noise fan myself I like their version better than the original. Robert pushes his voice across the air as the room is filled with some pretty drum'n bass pounding beats mixed with great sampled loops from the original track. Some other great tracks to note are "I W-is-H", which features samples from The Mob. And if you like the straight in your face punk-noise-core jam look no further than "The Shit Punks Hate" and "Art Palace Fossil Fuckers". Perfect mosh pit gore.

Track #2, Open Eyes, stands alone and is one of my favorites on this disc. The simple reason is because it is such a pure early 80's sounding industrial track. Open Eyes puts my mind in that time frame and I feel they could have opened for Throbbing Gristle or something. The other stand-alone live track is "Man O Steel"; this one is up there as well. Perfect.

The packaging is limited to black and white print with a silver spray painted CDr, but you get Roberts and Jim Swills lyrics on the inside sheet so you can read along if you can't understand what the fuck they're saying. Cheap price, perfect punk-noise.