Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Crossbred - Dead In Her Drum's Rhythm

Artist: Crossbred
Release: Dead In Her Drum's Rhythm
Label: Organic Pipeline
Year: 2007
Format: CDr
Tracks: 1
TRT: 29:12

Crossbred is a new project to me but they've been around for a few years now. It's a female noise unit from Osaka, Japan so that's a good sign already. There's a lot of guys out there wanting to hear more noise from girls and even though I'm married to a woman noiser, I agree. The world needs more females doing noise.

This track was a live recording at The Rain Dogs in November, 2005. Not sure were that is but I can assume it's in Japan. The track opens lightly with some sampled vocal loop, ring loop and some great synthesizer softly playing in the background. It picks up and there's more bits of noises added with some echo's and fade. The track is very light so far but there's a lot going on. The vocal sample still plays in and out as well. There's the introduction of laser sounds to and some very high pitched feedback at times. At 3:30 a digital delay starts to come in with a quick ripp'n pattern. This style is very in tune with early Dead Voices On Air material or Coil. Experimental and musical at the same time. The synth is great, played by Mayuko, it adds a very nice touch to certain parts of the track. At around 5 minutes the track gets louder with more echo vocals and sounds. Lots of movement in this track so far and I'm just 6 minutes in. Rie Lambdoll is listed as the one providing the sounds and seeing as this is a live take with no edits I'm pretty amazed at all the stuff that was pulled off in one take. Very well done and the live sound production is pretty damn good too, no crowd! At 12 minutes in the style is still going good. Lots of delayed fade ins and outs of sounds and loops. There's some more vocals samples. Then a drum beat starts coming in. Now on thier website it states that they do "free progressive music" but still, this kinda surprised me. I expected it from the title but the drum playing wasn't harsh at all. It was pretty much a tech-style drum. I gotta say I didn't like the track much after the drum came in but I love thier style; "Just keep on dance and killer noise!" such cool and classy chics. I'm a big fan of musical noise for sure but it was too clean sounding compared to the rest of the track, if your a harsh noise fan. There's also a bassline loop that comes in as well. More vocal yells come in too from the Rie. Kinda one or three word yells. Simple and if they were in English I don't think I'd understand them. Throughout all this drum beat noise the synth is still great. Played very well. At 17 minutes the drum finally stops and goes into more experiment sounds with some cool vocal effects. Kinda goes into a circus crazy type bit right now and I love it. Still musical but still fucked up. The sounds begin to start to revert back to what the track was sounding like in the begining, and this is good. I like a lot how the track ends. It was very much in tune with the Japanese sound and I mean that litteraly. Japanese vocals with some Japanese sounding instruments being played. Sadly it ends like someone just unplugged my stereo from the wall.

The artwork is simple as hell. It's a plain black CDr with no text written on it at all and packaged in a plastic sleeve with a white paper sheet that has a picture of a green soundwave on it. A picture of the band or the performance would have been better, if available. Overall, this track was a pretty good listen and the drum bit was only for a short time. I probably would have like it a lot more if there was a live version without the drums and then a remix version. It's got a lot of good elements in it though. Sometimes it's ambient other times it's harsh, but the harshness is about a 2/5. It peaked me enough to wanna hear more from these girls, er, I mean artists.