Monday, April 23, 2007

Q & A with Net-Label "Far From Showbiz"

Here's a quick Q&A interview I got to do with Wojciech Konieczny, owner of Far From Showbiz. This net label has over 100 release from artists like Jake Vida, Retro, Disthroned Agony, Oubliette, Ironlung, DJ Redskeye, and DCLXVI. Anything from noise, ambient, field recordings, to techno.

1) You're from Poland, correct?

Yes, it’s a small shithole in Eastern Europe.

2) How did you first get into noise?

First impression was best, I was maybe 15 then so it was around 13 years ago. I listened usually black/death metal then, in I borrowed a cdr with mp3 from my mate. I played a random track from it and it was MASONNA, then I thought - that guy must be really fucked up and people who listen to it are probably worse hehhehe. But not so long ago I was just seeking something different, I couldn't listen things I listened always. I met a guy on dc++ and he allowed me to download NOD [they are probably from Britain, but I’m not sure], 'the story of 3 little pigs, and big bad wolf, that was it... after this day I listen to the noise mostly, I’m addicted heheeh.


3) What made you decide to run a net-label for noise/ambient/electronic and why did you pick Far From Showbiz as the name?

I'm big fan of Norwegian band Beyond Dawn. Its the only rock/pop band I bought original cdrs and I try to complete their discography. They play for a very very long time, and they are great musicians. Yet still they are complete unknowns. So when I was hit by idea of creating netlabel, I already had a name for it. A title of song from their newest album. Check out their site http://www.beyonddawn.com/news.htm there is a few mp3s for download.


You have a lot of different styles on your net-label, Far From Showbiz, which is your favorite?

Yes, FFS doesn't have any strict music line. Everything depends on my mood, and of course which is more important I have to be interested in album I release. Its hard to describe, but I can listen noise almost always, for ambient/electronica I must be in certain mood to be attracted by it... Lately I must say I listen only noise releases from FFS, but I see all of albums as interesting things. I have even a rock band, but its a local group, lyrics are funny but you have to know polish to understand hehehe. Favorite is always noise, lately I wanna to make FFS more devoted to this genre. I do not accept as much non-noise now.


5) You also do DIY CDr's with your label, any other formats coming in the future?

I would like to. But I live in my own way which probably isn't acceptable by most people, and also gives me almost no money. I have my social money, and I work for 4h per day for some shitty money. I'm not interested in regular responsible job, I’m not type of a working man, I can't work with people blablabla. I would like to release tapes too but I cannot afford it. When you spend more than 3/4 monthly cash for alcohol, and for rest of it you trade cdrs with other people its hard to release tapes. cdrs have a lot or almost only positive sides, they are cheap, fast to record, also listening them is more user friendly, try to jump to another track in tape player ehheeehe and you are my god :)

6) Your label has well over 100 releases so far, is there a limit for FFS?

I wanna to continue this until it gives me satisfaction. I hope it will never end. Maybe someday I’ll change my mind but I’m not gonna do this so fast.


7) You work with Pat from Non Quality Audio as well, which I'm a fan of, what's that like?

Its Patrick who runs it. I only made a basic website which is pretty good I think ;) I don't like a sites where I have to make random hits to get what I want. sites should look as easy as they can to be user friendly, without flash and other shit like this. Anyway, it was totally his idea, I only maintained it in early days. I try to be on the news in NQA, there is a lot of good stuff there, some are complete crazy. Its not a smaller brother of ffs, or sub-label of ffs anymore, but fast growing netlabel that is going on its own, its great to see it. Also amounts of releases did by Patrick scares me, but in positive way hehehe. He can move freely in very different kinds of music, this is fantastic in my opinion, cause I don't have such ability.


8) Thank you for your time. Did you want to add anything?

Check out our website at www.farfromshowbiz.tk & send me your works. Thanks a lot for this opportunity to show FFS to more people! Cheers!