Monday, March 26, 2007

Koff Kirk - A Practical Guide To Personal Serenity

Artist: Koff Kirk
Release: A Practical Guide To Personal Serenity
Label:
Organic Pipeline
Year: 2006
Format: 5" CDr
Tracks: 4
TRT: 36:43


Koff Kirk is Roger Smith (of ChefKirk) and Jan-Morten Iversen (who does most noise under the title Iversen) and is an ongoing collaboration. The fact that these two are working together on a release was enough to want me to review it. This release is noted as a .wav file collaborative project thats heavy on the digital manipulations. All tracks are untitled and it comes packaged in a DVD slimcase with no inserts. The front cover is a black & white picture of a close up of a cloud I believe. No art on the CDr either. Simple.

Track 1, just under 6 minutes, starts out with crunching that’s about as textured as you can get. It’s then quickly switches to some high pitches squeals with loud scrapping tones. Near the 3 minute mark a great loop comes in that sounds like an eastern guitar. Very nice and it truly works well with the track and it distortion of high notes and tones.

Track 2, the longest one at over 21 minutes, sounds very much like one long live take. Like I’m sitting in a concert and watching these two perform in front of me, even though I don't think it was. It begins with a lot of metal scrapping patterns and some distortion that hisses lightly in the background. Some feedback occurs as well, which adds to an extra layer of noise. Near 4 minutes it goes into a vibrating low bass tone that switches pitches here and there. There are some great looping patterns that immerge soon after. Then comes in some digital delay rips with a yelling loop added in. Good switching between textures and noise levels in this track for sure. Gets really interesting at 8 minutes and I can’t begin what they’re using to make these sounds I hear. Lots of high and low ends in this track and that helps you get through the 20+ minutes very quickly. An excellent listen overall. It ends with an uber low bass riff that I think is the best part of the track.

Track 3, at 7:25, sounds very "spacey" at the start and soon goes in to a computer sounding rumble tumble with heavy distortion and "computer click" sounds in the background. Hard to describe but I’ve not heard anything like this before. It is however very Iversen sounding from what I’ve heard. My personal favorite track on this disc. If your use to the cut up style of noise like some Sissy Spacek and Jake Vida then this track fits right in. Track ends with a massive high-pitched note that I couldn’t even finish…hurt the fucking ears.

Track 4, at 2:07, finishes the disc off nicely with a low bass digital glitch that repeats at 300bpm. Half way through it pulls out and gets into a different pattern with some minor distortion layered overtop and ends like the previous track, a high tone that just drove my cats crazy.

Separately I’ve heard these two and I think they’re noise is some of the best I’ve heard. This disc is the first time I’ve heard them together and although I’d rather hear their solo works hearing the two of them was a treat and I wasn’t disappointed at all. Noise I truly never heard before.