Monday, December 18, 2006

Jake Vida - Ten Arrows

Artist: Jake Vida
Release: Ten Arrows
Label:
Pointless Blank Records
Year: 2006
Format: CDr
Tracks: 2
TRT: 42:10


Jake Vida, an artist out of Ontario Canada, and has always been on my favorites list since I first heard him in early 2005. His style of noise always manages to impress my senses and I have yet to hear the same thing twice by him. He mainly does the cut-up style noise, but it’s put together with thought and planning it seems. Ten Arrows is no different.

There are two tracks, titled Ten Arrows 1 and Ten Arrows 2, one is 24 minutes and the two is 18 minutes. The first Ten Arrows track is just brilliant. It starts off pretty slow for the first minute. Drone, harsh, drone, harsh, and then after the 2 minute the barrage of 1 million things going on at once begins. Lots of channel switching and mind fuck manipulations. This is one type of release where you can play it over 50 times and get something different out of it each time, much like Merzbow’s Pulse Demon or Massona’s Frequency LSD release. There’s vocal screams that come it at times and they’re harsh and with a purpose. "Let me the fuck out of these speakers!" Bloody amazing track. I was 7 minutes into it and this release was already on my top 10 list for 2006. At 8 minutes you can finally recognize some sounds sources and what sounds like feedback and some delay, but then the lashes come at you again. Perfect, as it gave me time to breathe. At 11 minutes there’s another break where the vocals really come in. A long scream from hell. At 12 minutes we get some great delay loops playing in the background along with the mish mash of noise. The track ends perfect too. It was like I was listening to a song or something. After 22 minutes of a total noise attack it fades out into this nice trickle loop.

Track 2 is just as good. It begins with a soft metal scraping and then a static loop comes in and repeats for a while. I get the feeling that this is just setting you up for something fierce, and I was right. The same cut-up style begins and lots of sounds are running through your head at once. It’s perfect noise to me. It’s just as harsh as the first track and just a mad! It seems more "live" than the other one though and I don’t really know how Jake does it, but kudos to him. During this release I found myself a few times replaying what I just heard cause; "…it was a cool fucking sound." Love it!

Unfortunately this release is very limited. Made to 12 copies at first and then an extra 5 were made with different colour covers, which are printed on beige textured paper. Looks nice and professional for just a short run. I’d recommend Jake do some vinyl some day as this is the type of noise that is worthy of keeping around for 500 years and not just the life span of a CDr.