Wednesday, November 01, 2006

V/A - Population Problems

Artist: Various
Release: Population Problems
Label:
Cephia's Treat Recordings / Obelisk Sounds
Year: 2006
Format: 7" Vinyl
Tracks: 8


This 7" vinyl compilation is something that I thought was just a noise comp. I was mistaken but not disappointed. Four track per side and here is a track by track review:

Byron House – A short garage band jam with some lyrics that are sometimes hard to make out. It’s a simple run of the mill high school sounds, nothing great, but not bad.
Oubliette – The only noise track featured on this comp. Your fashioned with some low-fi effects and TV samples. The sound of Oubliette at it’s finest. If you’re familiar with Seth’s sound than look no further than this comp. It’s the longest track on the side and it’s well worth it.
Then And Than – Casio drums with a light drone and some great organ notes. When I first played this my wife thought I was listening to something from CBC radio. She loved it. A great song.
Turmoiled Functions – Some great slow notes mixed with layered scrapes. This is something that I could see played at a funeral? Maybe it was. A great short tune to end the first side.
The Oals – Xylophone sounds with soft drugged out lyrics. Listen while lying on the grass looking at clouds. A very sad sounding track.
Haves & Thirds – Hip-hop sampled drum beat with a trippy guitar tune being played along with some odd TV samples. The track speeds up and slows down nicely too.
Noche Rider – Another garage rock’n roll jam. This one is better than the Byron House one I think. A short instrumental tune.
The Fas’ners – This one is my favorite. There’s a jazz organ with a bass and light cymbal taps. Very jazz orientated. The track stops, goes to a faster RPM and then slows again. Very short as well and a good idea of what to expect from this band.


I had only heard of one of these bands on here and that was Oubliette. I thought it was a noise comp but what a got was a great mix of bands showing their talents in some pretty decent short tracks. A good buy and something that I’d recommend playing in the summer. It has that roller skate hot day feel to it.