Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Harm Stryker - Class Consciousness

Artist: Harm Stryker
Release: Class Consciousness
Label:
Sockets
Year: 2007
Format: CDr
Tracks: 12
TRT: 39:15

This is my second taste of Harm Stryker and my first from the Sockets label. I'm not use to softer styles of noise with sections of the tracks being very quite but if I were to give off an example of a release for a good starting point it'd be this one. Let's just say I didn't hate it and there were some great parts as well. This disc is something that'd get play from me on those days were I just don't feel like listening to harsh noise or need something to read to.


There are 12 untitled tracks 18 seconds to almost 8 minutes. To me this is "sci-fi" noise, much like Pulse Emitter. One has to really pay attention to all the soft changes going on admist the high pitches and low squeeks. To me, however, I think if this were one long 39 minute track it'd have the same effect with me. The tracks don't very much in difference but that's not a bad thing as there's always some changing during the whole listen. The best part about this style of noise is I have no idea how the fuck it's done and that impresses me a lot! I've seen and heard a lot of noise so to hear something that I have no idea how it's made kinda gives me all the more reason to listen to it. Amen!

The packaging for this release is pretty unique. We have a cardboard sleeve, in the same lines as a 2 panel digipak, and inside is the unlabeled disc and 2 cardboard inserts. One insert has the definition of "gentrification" and a big bold phrase on the side "Occupants Rule!" The other insert gives me a headache. It features a full page of text about modern capitalism written by Raoul Vaneigem but the text is all written backwards. kcuf dnim a s'ti tub daer ot ysaE. Overall a great listen incase your ears need to recover and yes, Harm knows how to make noise, even though some insects couldn't hear it.