Sunday, July 22, 2007

Skrol - Insomnia Dei

Artist: Skrol
Release: Insomnia Dei
Label: RRRecords, Chromosome
Year: 2001
Format: CD
Tracks: 7
TRT: 41:19

I'm not new to Skrol as a band but this is the first listen of them I had. This version of the CD is the remastered version co-released on RRRecords in 2001. It features seven fairly heavy hitting industrial tunes. I unfortunately didn't get a cover for this album, just the CD itself, so I can not comment much on the artwork, but it maybe like the normal style RRR does with a cardboard sleeve and printed paper insert.

The CD starts off with a ten and half minute track titled, Soaking / Movie Martyr. It features some great guitar loops and a slow pounding bass drum. Soon vocals come in and it's more yelling than anything. You can understand them if you listen closely and they sound pretty clear. The next track, Gasteropod, is in the same vain but features a well played piano loop as well. Track three, U.C.M., has a great "impending doom" feel to it. The high tonal loops and the fast drum kicks are great. Insomnia, track four, starts off fairly light with some harmonic vocals creeping. It's still got some kick to it with a slow drum beat smacking in. These vocals are very operatic as well, which surprised me in a good way. Probably my favorite on this disc. All the tracks on this CD have the same quality to them and it makes it great as a album in it's whole. I don't find myself wanting to skip tracks, much like the Sunn O)))/Boris: Altar disc. All great tracks.

Overall this is a very powerful CD and one that should be played at full volume. It's got me wanting to check out more of this bands material for sure.